Sunday, November 4, 2007

New Toys!



Well, I've been looking for a deal on a new bike for awhile and I finally found a pretty good one. I bought a Gary Fisher x-caliber 29er. I rode a Surly Karate monkey (rigid with gears) for most of the last two years and finally decided to buy a bike with some suspension. I plan on setting up my KM as a singlespeed. I don't want to get soft in my old age(I turned 33 today!). I think the x-cal is a pretty good setup. It has the same frame as the higher end paragon and it has a RockShox Reba SL fork. I rode it today for the first time and I'm pretty stoked. It's a little heavy, but I'm going to switch out a few things and get some nicer wheels built for it. I'm thinking Chris King hubs with Stan's ZTR 355 29er rims. Should be pretty nice and I'm sold on the 29 inch wheels. They roll!
My other new toy is a kayak. I probably didn't need it, but I've been thinking about getting one for awhile and it was heavily discounted at Cabela's. I figure that It'll be good for training if I get back into the Adventure Racing. I really missed that this year. Anyway, It's an Old Town Cayuga 160. 16 feet long. No rudder, but I can add one if I want. I bought a Pacific Paddles T1 touring paddle to go along with it. 29 oz. for $115. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Now that it gets dark at 6 I should have plenty of time to go out for a paddle, right?
Last weekend I ran the 5k(more like 4+ miles) and rode in the cyclocross race at Wyco park. It was a good time and I was dead tired after getting killed in the cross race. Let's just say my time on the bike has been minimal. They had tons of good food and Boulevard beer!
Next Sunday is the Veteran's Day 4miler. I'm going to try and get out and clean up the course a bit before the race. See ya out there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry brother won't be able to make it down for the race this weekend. I'm on bad days off right now at work so this weekend is actually like my Tuesday, Wednesday. I'll be on bad days until the week before Sunmart which is the main reason I chose to do that one this year. So for now I'm just gonna focus on that. I'll get out there and run with you guys soon though. Talk to you later